F R O M T H E A N I M E P O C K E T G U I D E
C A S T
G E N E R A L I N F O R M A T I O N
- Title: Magic Knight Rayearth
- Genre: Adventure
- Format: TV
- Author: CLAMP
D E S C R I P T I O N
It's a beautiful day at Tokyo Tower. Today, several schools have come on tours. Hikaru is looking through a pay-telescope when her time runs out. A girl from another school lends her money. Hikaru runs after her to thank her and encounters a third girl from yet another school. Suddenly, a ball of light explodes outside and Princess Emeraude appears begging for help. The 3 girls fall into a world with floating islands and great forests. The wizard Doshi Clef greets them and tells them that they are in a realm known as Cefiro. They have been called by Princess Emeraude to save her and her world for they are the legendary Magic Knights. At a glance, Clef can tell that the girls are hardly ready to assume those roles, but they WERE chosen, so he transforms them. He gives brief instructions on their powers (though only Hikaru is listening) before they're attacked. Clef is turned to stone, but the 3 girls get away. Their quest is to find the Legendary Mashins and use their power to save Cefiro and the Princess from the evil and powerful Zagato. These are the Legendary Magic Knights:
- Hikaru - the shortest and the oldest, she is the most enthusiastic, even though she doesn't know what an RPG is.
- Umi - a little snobbish, she is also the most homesick: "Can YOU take us back to Tokyo Tower?".
- Fuu - quiet and analytical, she may end up having the most personal connection to the world of Cefiro...
NOTE: Though the series inserts comical Super-Deformed scenes, the general mood remains serious. Through their adventures, the girls will learn how to use their powers to get ready for the final confrontation.
NOTE: A little naming oddity. Besides the Magic Knights, almost all the characters (and Cefiro itself!) are named after cars sold domestically in Japan. For the list of names corresponding to the cards, head to the facts section.
R E L E A S E I N F O R M A T I O N
A N I M E P O C K E T G U I D E R A T I N G
- First season. 20 episode TV series (1994-95). The last episode was a one hour long "Rayearth Special". The TV run also included another Special with episode 9 which recapped the series to date.
- Second season. 29 episode TV series (1995). The Magic Knights return to Cefiro to find it changed from the Cefiro that they knew.
- 1997 OAV series. This has nothing to do with the original TV series in terms of story line. CLAMP has merely used the same characters. For one thing, the girls are now all in the same school.
R E C O M M E N D E D
The original version of this Anime Pocket Guide was written by Hitoshi Doi, the one being shown is an edited version.
For more information regarding the Anime Pocket Guide, please visit this website.